Urine Alcohol Test EtG
A number of organizations and companies have started to implement random EtG urine alcohol tests as part of
their drug and alcohol screening and testing policy.
Keep in mind that urine alcohol tests with EtG provide an accurate and reliable indication of alcohol
ingestion within the previous 80 hours.
In short, while the EtG urine alcohol test can not determine how much alcohol an individual has concumed, it
can provide evidence that the person has in fact ingested alcohol at some point within the past 80 hours.
This is especially important for people who have been mandated by the legal system to refrain from drinkng
The 80-Hour Window for the Presence of EtG in the Urine
Ethyl glucuronide (EtG) is a direct metabolite of ethanol alcohol.
The presence of EtG in the urine can be used to detect recent alcohol consumption, even after the ethanol
alcohol is no longer measurable.
Stated in another way, the presence of EtG in the urine is a definitive indicator that alcohol has been
Traditional laboratory practices typically measure the amount of alcohol present in the body.
Depending on the amount of alcohol has been consumed, this method usually reveals alcohol ingestion within the
past few hours.
The presence of EtG in the urine, on the other hand, demonstrates that ethanol alcohol was ingested within the
past three or four days, or approximately 80 hours after the ethanol alcohol has been metabolized by the body.
As a consequence, it can be determined that a urine alcohol test employing EtG is a more accurate indicator of
the recent consumption of alcohol as opposed to simply measuring for the existence of ethanol alcohol as is done
with other "standard" urine alcohol testing methodologies.
The Accuracy and the Reliablity of the EtG Urine Alcohol Test
Some labs use the most advanced, accurate, and precise equipment and technology that is available (such as
LC/MS/MS) to sift through, validate, and quantify the presence of EtG.
Under these stringent parameters, the EtG urine alcohol test provides highly accurate results.
The Key Benefits of Using EtG Tests Include the Following:
The following represents some of the major benefits of utilizing EtG Urine Alcohol Tests:
- EtG tests detect recent usage more accurately and for a longer time period compared with standard
- EtG testing is a great match for abstinence and zero tolerance circumstance
- EtG tests provide an accurate and reliable indication of alcohol ingestion within the previous 3 to 4 days
(or approximately 80 hours).
- EtG is only detectable when alcohol is ingested and is not produced as a result of alcohol fermentation
- EtG testing facilitates monitoring in alcohol treatment programs
- EtG test function as an early warning system that can identify relapse patterns
- EtG tests can be accurate and reliable when performed by LC/MS/MS on state of the art equipment
- Some labs can provide thirty-six hour turnaround time from receipt of the urine specimens
- EtG tests can be run on urine specimens in conjunction with other drug testing methodologies
- Top-rate labs can provide results via fax, the U.S. mail, and via the Internet
How Much Do EtG Urine Alcohol Tests Cost?
EtG urine alcohol tests cost right around $25.00 per urine specimen, even when tested on state-of-the-art
Given the cost of this type of alcohol testing, accurate and reliable results are possible at a price that most
organizations can afford.
Conclusion: Urine Alcohol Test EtG
As long as companies and organizations lose substantial amounts of money and "person-hours" to alcohol abuse,
they will continue to use random alcohol tests.
As a result, a number of employees have done their homework and have implemented random EtG urine alcohol tests
as part of their alcohol and drug screening policy.
Urine alcohol tests with EtG are not only reliable and accurate, but they also provide numerous screening
When their relatively low cost is entered into the equation, EtG urine alcohol tests become a solid and
affordable methodology for employee alcohol screening and testing.